This week’s OISI Staff Spotlight features Nichole Pate, COVID-19 Entrance Screener.
1. How long have you been with OISI and what do you do here/ title?
I started August 6th, 2020 and I am the COVID Entrance Screener.
2. Proudest moment here at OISI or Favorite part of your job?
My favorite part of this position is making our patients smile. I get people that come in the door in a bad mood and leave my table smiling and laughing. One laugh or smile can change someone’s entire day. My goal is to make someone smile every day.
3. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
I get out of bed every morning because I can’t stop and I won’t stop. You only live once and life is so short. I could have given up long ago but I never did and never will.
4. People would be surprised if they knew what about you?
Most don’t realize I am legally blind.
I also memorized what to say before my first day.
I take life day by day and try to enjoy every second. I don’t let my visual impairment stop me from things, I just have to find another way to do things. I am also a 2012 Community College NASA Aerospace Scholar.
5. What is your favorite thing to do in Southern IL?
I love to ride motorcycles and go hiking. Being on a motorcycle is so freeing! It is my wind therapy. And being outdoors is a favorite of mine.